Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Homeschool Curriculum we chose for 2013-2014...

Would like to share with those who are interested about what Curriculum I chose for the kids this year for homeschooling. I decided to keep it simple for our first year and we are still experimenting  and trying out new books and new ways of learning that will work the best with our kids. What will work for others might not work well for our kids or the other way around. Remember this is my first year so I am still learning new technique's, learning of new books etc. I did try to do my best at researching on the curriculum I chose for this year but I might be playing around with other books as the year goes on...



Math:   Math Primary Mathematics 3A-3B (3rd grade)
                Math Primary Mathematics 1A-1B (1st grade)
                Horizons Mathematics K5
 I liked how simple these looked and they have all that they need to cover in their current grades... And very simple instructions. They also do extra work printouts for math.

Reading/Literature:
 Happy Hearts Book 1-2 -Reading to Learn Series (Ella- 3rd grade)
  I Wonder (Emily - 1st grade)
  I absolutely loved this Series. Each individual story in each chapter actually teaches them a lesson, not only reading but also Christian Morality. All the stories are on her grade level of reading but also all are innocent and God honoring.
 One of my favorite poems that is in this book after a story:
 Butterfly Wings
How would it be On a day in June
To open your eyes, In a dark cocoon,
And soften one end And crawl outside
And find you have Wings, To open wide!
And find you could fly, to a bush or a tree,
Or float on the air, Like a boat at sea?
- Aileen Fisher
Makes you realize how amazing Our God is? Its truly a miracle that you see each Spring!



Extra Reading: Tom Sawyer + Lapbook + Bible (which we will be using for history as well, and many other books as the year goes on. Haven't decided on them yet :/

Language Arts: Explode the code 1 & 1 1/2 (1st grader)
                                          Explode the Code Primer Set, Books A, B, and C (K5)
 For Writing/Crammer the 3rd grader is doing just printable I get her and cursive practice, spelling etc.

History: Girls of American History Girls of American History We are just working on the studying Ancient history as well as the bible history for now... I get alot of printables and ideas online. However, we will be doing American Girl History for last two quarters of the school year and my girls are very excited and so I am!

Science: Currently blending it in with everything else, as far as the Science, Bible and History goes. We started bible from beginning, so first quarter we are doing "Beginning of Creation", God created heaven earth all the waters, land, and all that is in it. So we studying about all the types of animals (reptiles, mammals, amphibians etc) then we studies the Ocean Life, kids chose different topics to study... Next quarter we will study Volcanoes, earthquakes and all exciting facts of the "Land" part. After that "God created Man" (Human body) etc.... You get the point ;) I do have a few books that we are referencing to. One of them Over Our Head In Wonders Grades K-5

Bible: And of course on a daily basis we work on our Bible studying. Each week we memorize a verse and we are currently learning all the books of the bible before we go deeper into each one of the books. Also doing a Lapbook as a project for this topic :)  Kids love this the most :)
And here is the link for the lapbook bible printables, and what it looks like...Bible Lapbook











2 comments:

  1. I love Abeka. You should check it out. It is intense but kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia! I will definatly check out the Abeka books in the future... I just liked something more simple for the first year, I think as I get more into it with more experience I will be testing out those as well :)

    ReplyDelete